[MAP] WebEx and Mac OS X

Tom Roberts tjrob at muonsinc.com
Mon Jul 16 15:25:10 EDT 2012

We have discovered a serious incompatibility between WebEx and Mac OS X 10.7
(Lion) -- such systems can view the WebEx broadcast just fine, but as presenter
when they share their desktop the result is garbled and unrecognizable on other
peoples' screens. The older version, Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), might not
have this problem.

I have submitted a trouble ticket on this to WebEx. I suspect it will take a
while for them to resolve this.

Meanwhile there is a workaround: share an individual application (e.g.
PowerPoint, Preview, etc.). This works just fine. When you are the presenter,
the link (picture) to do this is just to the left of the link to share your
desktop; it presents you with a list of applications from which you select one.
You can also use the Share menu.

There is a second, minor incompatibility: On Mac OS X, Firefox does not work at
all for WebEx, and you must use Safari. Be sure your software is up-to-date, as
old versions of Safari and/or Java may not work.

Tom Roberts