[MAP] Liouville's theorem and electromagnetic fields

Kirk T McDonald kirkmcd at Princeton.EDU
Mon Mar 14 15:51:56 EDT 2011

Tom,

I agree with Alex (and Scott and Rob Ryne) on this.

The formal consequence is that when measuring emittances at fixed z, rather
than fixed t, the "momenta" should include the vector potential in the case
of p_x and p-y (or p_r and p_phi) and should include the scalar potential in
the case of
p_t = E_mech + e V.

Of course, for DC magnets, there is no scalar potential (in a "sensible"
gauge).  Only for transport through RF cavities do we need to worry about
the scalar potential.

I don't believe that ECALC9 includes the scalar potential, so this may be
the cause of the numerical problems shown in some talks at JLAB that
launched this entire thread.

Also, it may be that ECALC9 also leaves out the vector potential for rf
cavities, and only includes it for DC magnets.

This brings us to the debate as to whether it's really necessary to include
A and V in the emittance calculation -- although the strict Hamiltonian
formalism says we should do this.

--Kirk

PS Assuming that we do include A and V as per the Hamiltonian formalism, we
are left with the question of how to calculate the scalar (and vector)
potential of an rf cavity.

Juan Gallardo suggests that we do this in the Poincare gauge, which has the
merit of providing the most straightforward calculation of A and V from E
and B in any gauge.

In other gauges, only generally has to take derivatives of E and B (to
calculate rho and J = charge and current densities before one can calculate
A and V.

In any gauge, A and V are nonzero both inside AND outside the rf cavity,
even if E and B are zero outside the cavity.

All this is consistent from the point of view of Hamiltonian dynamics, but
it is disconcerting to some of us that the emittance calculation depends on
nonzero A and V in regions where the E and B fields have NO effect on the
beam!

Examples of calculations of A and V for rectangular and cylindrical pillbox
cavities are at
http://puhep1.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/cylindrical.pdf
http://puhep1.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/cavity.pdf
In practice, we would use knowledge of E and B of our RF cavities to make
numerical computations of A and V for use in ECALC9

Note how A and V are both nonzero outside the cavities, where E and B are
zero!