[MAP] Use of x,y,t as Hamiltonian coordinates.

Fernow, Richard C fernow at bnl.gov
Mon Mar 14 13:51:09 EDT 2011

Kirk,

First let me say that the physics content of ECALC9 is entirely the work
of Gregg Penn. I made a modified version ECALC9F that took its input
from an input file instead of the keyboard and have tried to maintain it
as problems arose over the years. I also wrote the Mucool note 280 to
help me understand what Gregg was doing. Sometimes this isn't very clear
in the code. I don't think FORTRAN was Gregg's native language. Anyway
looking over the code again this morning

1.      Greg calculates em6, emT, and emL using three different
matrices.

2.      The variables for em6 are {x, y, t, px, py, E}. The momenta
appear to be mechanical, i.e. the correction for Bz is not applied here.

3.      The variables for emT are {x, y, px, py}. The momenta also
appear to be mechanical in this matrix. The statement I made about this
at JLAB was apparently wrong.

4.      The variables for emL are {t, E, AT2}. The third variable is the
square of the transverse amplitude.

5.      The only place where the on-axis field appears to be used is in
calculating the canonical angular momentum and the transverse amplitude.

Rick

It is my understanding the ICOOL/ECALC presently uses the first of these
transformations, I.e., it uses coordinates

(x, y, t, p_mech_x+qA_x/c, p_mech_y+qA_y/c, E_mech)

[Rick Fernow: Can you comment on this?]

It now seems to me that this is actually OK in principle (although
perhaps a somewhat "ugly" transformation)