[MAP] Liouville's theorem, kinematic invariants, and dynamic invariants

Tom Roberts tjrob at fnal.gov
Mon Mar 14 12:17:58 EDT 2011

Along those lines, I must ask: is emittance really what we need to consider? In
particular, as we prepare to evaluate, compare, and down-select cooling
techniques over the next year or so.

Remember that the primary goal is to maximize the luminosity of a muon collider
for a given number of protons on target. (There are secondary goals related to
neutrino factories, costs, and other aspects such as real estate.)

In the cooling channel, if phase space becomes filamented, then the beams are
not Gaussian, and emittance does not truly reflect the luminosity of the
collider. A devil's advocate can easily construct gedankens in which the actual
luminosity is either less than or greater than the computation using transverse
emittance and the IP's beta*:

Imagine that the phase space filamentation and the focusing at the IP conspire
to make each beam be a hollow tube with an empty center. Then if the radii of
the two beam tubes are equal the actual luminosity will be larger than the
computation (computed transverse sigmas will reflect the diameter of the tube,
not its wall thickness); if one beam fits inside the tube of the other, the
luminosity will be less than the computation. (I do not claim this is likely,
but I don't think that this sort of thing is impossible, either.)

Indeed, in most accelerators the beams are not Gaussian, as the tails have been
deliberately removed to reduce halo.

How important is this effect?

To accurately assess cooling techniques, do we need to simulate all the way to
the IP and compute the simulated luminosity? Or can we use emittance at the end
of the cooling channel as a proxy for luminosity?

Tom Roberts