[MAP] Liouville's theorem, kinematic invariants, and dynamic invariants

Chris Rogers chris.rogers at stfc.ac.uk
Mon Mar 14 10:46:32 EDT 2011

A completely different approach that we are looking at in MICE is to
calculate the true 6d phase space volume of the beam. I think when you
start worrying about non-linear effects the power law expansions rather
quickly stop working anyway, so this is an interesting alternative.

We have shown that MICE especially needs to worry about details of the
emittance calculation because the optical emittance growth is not always
small compared to the scattering.

Presumably for Kirk he is worried about targetry stuff. A funny thing
about this is that he has particle production on the target and particle
decay (pions->muons), both of which are not emittance preserving
processes. Also canonical momentum may not be conserved in this instance
which can introduce mismatch.

Chris

--
ASTeC Intense Beams Group