[MAP] Liouville's theorem, kinematic invariants, and dynamic invariants

alex dragt dragtnb at comcast.net
Fri Mar 11 16:24:10 EST 2011

Dear All,

      Confusion reigns:  As described in the papers

A. Dragt, F. Neri, et al., "LIE ALGEBRAIC TREATMENT OF LINEAR AND
NONLINEAR BEAM DYNAMICS",
Annual Review of Nuclear and Particle Science 38, p. 455 (1988).

A. Dragt, R. Gluckstern, et al., "THEORY OF EMITTANCE INVARIANTS",
Lecture Notes in
Physics 343: Proceedings of the Joint US-CERN Capri School on
Accelerator Physics,
Springer Verlag (1989).

A. Dragt, F. Neri, et al., "GENERAL MOMENT INVARIANTS FOR LINEAR
HAMILTONIAN SYSTEMS",
Physical Review A, 45, p. 2572 (1992).

there are two kinds of invariants, which I call "kinematic" and
"dynamic".  It is important not to confound them.

      The Courant-Snyder invariants, generally treated in the linear
approximation as described by Sergei below,  are examples of dynamic
invariants.  Their use requires a knowledge of the equations of motion
or, equivalently, a one-period or one-turn map.  (They generally apply
to periodic systems for which the linear part of the map has all its
eigenvalues on the unit circle and distinct, but in principle could
also be constructed when the eigenvalues are off the unit circle.)
Contrary to the reservations that appear to be  expressed by Sergei,
they are extendable to the nonlinear case using normal form methods.
See, for example, the first paper above and Sections 8.10 and 8.11 of
the MaryLie manual available at the Web site

http://www.physics.umd.edu/dsat/

There are also papers in the literature that extend them, at least in
the linear case, to non-periodic systems.

     Examples of kinematic invariants include what I call "moment
invariants" and "eigen emitances".  They involve moments of particle
distributions and, like Liouville's theorem, make no specific use of
the equations of motion save for the symplectic condition.  It is
these invariants that are the current focus of interest with regard to
questions of "emittance partitioning".  See the draft paper

arXiv:1010.1558v2 [physics.acc-ph]

Their computation and use are described in the papers above and
Section 8.37 of the MaryLie manual.

      Moment invariants are currently known only for the case of
linear maps, but there is some evidence that they should also exist in
the  nonlinear case.  See Chapter 26 (only partially complete) and
Section 6.8.2 of "Lie Methods ...", also available at the Web site
above.  In the past I have tried to construct moment invariants for
nonlinear maps by finding Casimir operators for the full Lie algebra
of all symplectic maps.  The problem is difficult because the usual
method for constructing Casimir operators requires that the Killing
metric be invertible.  See Section 21.11 of "Lie Methods ...".  This
metric is not invertible in the nonlinear case, and therefore the
standard machinery for constructing Casimirs fails.  With considerable
effort I found an alternate approach with some promising results, but
was eventually overwhelmed by algebraic complexity.  Moment invariants
for the nonlinear case, if they exist at all, will require many pages
even to write them down.

      I hope these remarks provide some clarification.

Best,

Alex