[MAP] Liouville's theorem and electromagnetic fields

Kirk T McDonald kirkmcd at Princeton.EDU
Fri Mar 11 11:10:33 EST 2011

Sergei,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments.

One theme of them is a different, and important issue from the ones that I
have been raising.

Namely that depending one how one calculates "emittance" there can be
apparent "emittance" growth in "nonlinear" transport systems.

Apparently a drift space in (field free) vacuum is an example of a
"nonlinear" transport system.

To me, this "fact" seems ludicrous, and suggests to me that better working
definitions of "emittance" can/should be found.

Do the folks in the "symplectic" world have any such better definitions,
such that "emittance" is invariant for transport through field-free vacuum?

-----------------------
There remains the issue of whether or not its better to include the vector
potential in the calculation of "emittance" when electromagnetic fields are
present.  If the answer is YES, then which gauge should we use?

Note that the vector potential in many gauges is nonzero even in field-free
regions!!!!

Since phase volume is gauge invariant, and also the same if we ignore the
vector potential altogether, we have the option of changing gauges, or
ignoring the vector potential altogether, in any particular calculation of
emittance along a transport system.

If at one plane in the transport system there are electromagnetic fields
from two different sources, I believe that we could use the vector potential
for one source in one gauge, and use another gauge for the other source --
as well as ignoring one or both the the vector potentials.

This is "gauge freedom".

In practice, what should we do to get the best numerical estimates of the
invariant phase volume by our so-called "emittance" calculations?

--Kirk