[MAP] Liouville's theorem and electromagnetic fields

Alexey Burov burov at fnal.gov
Thu Mar 10 19:22:48 EST 2011

Kirk,

the first question in that business should be: what are sub-emittances
for arbitrary coupled beam state? Correct answer is: they are diagonal
elements of the sigma-matrix in a basis of its eigenvectors. These two
(or 3 in 3D coupled case) values are invariant under any symplectic
transformations - that is why they are so important. "Leaving the
vector-potential out of the calculations" changes the partial
emittances. This non-symplectic procedure is equivalent to neglect of a
kick from solenoidal edge fields - which may easily lead to severe errors.

Alexey.