[MAP] 14 T cable test facility

Emanuela Barzi barzi at fnal.gov
Mon Aug 2 00:33:46 EDT 2010

I am pleased to announce that, in the frame of our on-going research on high field superconductors, a 14 T Rutherford cable test facility is under commissioning in the SC R&D lab of the Magnet System Department, Technical Division at Fermilab. This facility makes use of a superconducting transformer to test a bi-filar cable sample. Attached are the results of commissioning runs on two samples: a NbTi cable, and a Nb3Sn cable that had been used in the fabrication of one of our mirror magnets. More details will be given in a presentation at the 5LX oral session at ASC on Friday afternoon. I thank my team, particularly Dan Turrioni for his expertise with the DAQ and Allen Rusy for his mechanical skills.

Best regards,

Emanuela Barzi