[MAP] Don't call it a Fernow-Neuffer plot

Fernow, Richard C fernow at bnl.gov
Wed Jun 27 17:22:45 EDT 2012

A number of people have been calling plots of transverse versus longitudinal emittance for muon collider cooling a "Fernow-Neuffer" plot. I assume this came about because a plot of this type appeared in a paper about cooling for a Higgs Factory that David and I wrote in 2001. I feel greatly honored to join the ranks of people like Fowler and Nordheim in having a plot named after them, but alas it turns out I really don't deserve this honor. I have recently come across a plot of this type (attached) that was presented at the MuTAC Review in 1999. I am fairly certain that this plot was created by Bob Palmer, although I have been unable to find transparencies from that review that would confirm this. Thus, unless someone can find an earlier example, call it a "Palmer" plot if you feel it's necessary to attach someone's name to it, or just call it an emittance scenario plot.