[MAP] Use of x,y,t as Hamiltonian coordinates.

Pavel Snopok snopok at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 19:38:10 EDT 2011

Dan, Kirk, MAP,

Here's what I did:

1) I took the MICE Step IV magnet configuration;
2) put it in COSY to get a high-order transfer map,
3) checked that the magnetic field in COSY is consistent with g4beamline
(see field_comparison.png attached),
4) calculated a ninth order transverse map from the symmetry point (z=0)
to some point outside the last magnet (z=3.3 m),
5) based on that map, calculated the nonlinear determinant of the
Jacobian (the determinant that takes into account all the nonlinearities
of the underlying transfer map, essentially a high-order polynomial in
x,px,y,py,t,E that allows to calculate the determinant at any point in
phase space).

I found that the determinant is equal to 1 everywhere in the area far
greater than the beam size under consideration. Attached determinant.png
shows the deviation of the determinant from 1 as a function of x and y.
You can see that the deviation is of the order of 10^(-11), and the fact
that there is a deviation at all results from the fact that the ninth
order approximation is not sufficient for larger amplitudes.

The fact that the determinant is 1 entails that the 6d emittance is
constant. However, if one looks at the 6d emittance approximation
produced by using the second moment matrix approximation, it is clearly
not constant.

P.S. Apologies for generating traffic by attaching figures, I try to
keep file sizes as small as possible. Since there is no end in sight to
this discussion, should we rather establish some file repository and
send around links rather than files?

Pavel