[MAP] Emittance simulation experiments

Kirk T McDonald kirkmcd at Princeton.EDU
Wed Mar 16 16:11:46 EDT 2011

Tom,

Thanks again.

You latest computation shows that the "nonlinearity" associated with
transport in zero field is related to nonzero momentum/energy spread.

In MICE, where the energy spread will be large, this effect will be large,
and care will be needed to see "cooling" as a small correction to the growth
of RMS emittance in the absence of cooling.

The SciFi trackers of MICE are inside solenoids, which hopefully suppresses
the apparent emittance growth, particularly when the vector potential is
included in the calculation.   Good field maps will be needed to do a good
job on this.

The (E,t) emittance has different units than the (p_z,z) emittance.

In particular, 1 ns ~ 30 cm, so even if you shifted a decimal point, there
is likely a factor of 3 lurking.

A smaller effect is that the particles are not fully relativistic, so
with p_z ~ 200 MeV/c, you have E ~ 225 MeV.

--Kirk