[MAP] Emittance simulation experiments

Kirk T McDonald kirkmcd at Princeton.EDU
Wed Mar 16 13:47:06 EDT 2011

Tom,

Great job!

I put your .gif files in the web directory
http://puhep1.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/mumu/Roberts/

This confirms past efforts of Juan, Rick and Scott, MuCool note 288.

In practice, we don't use many free-space drifts, as our beams are almost
always "confined" in a solenoid channel.

If you have the energy, a next numerical step would be to include a constant
axial magnetic field, B, with vector potential A_phi = B r /2.
Probably, the particles should be "born" in this field.

It would be interesting to see the difference in the rms emittance with and
without including the vector potential in the momenta.

Hopefully, rms emittance will be more constant when the vector potential is
included, but I doubt that it will be perfectly constant.

A constant magnetic field contributes nothing to p_z (or p_t = - E_mech + q
V), so it is of interest to report also the 4-d transverse subemittance and
the 2-d longitudinal subemittance.

------------
After this, perhaps you could study a spatially varying magnetic field.

One possibility is to chose an analytic form for B_z along the axis, and use
series expansions for B_z, B_r and A_phi off axis.
http://puhep1.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/axial.pdf

It would be a favor to the target simulation effort to consider a 20-T
field, say 1 m long around the volume where the beam is "born", followed by
a Kevin-Paul taper down to 1.5 T over the next 15 m.
See sec. 2.2 of
http://www.hep.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/mumu/target/taper.pdf
with exponent p = 1.   Set d B_z / d z = 0 at the beginning and end of the
taper.

------------------
Eventually, it would be interesting to pass the beam through an rf cavity.
A simple cylindrical pillbox cavity would be a good start.

Juan and I are struggling to give forms for the vector and scalar potentials
for this.   We haven't quite converged, but if people have the energy to
look, see
http://puhep1.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/cylindrical.pdf

-----------------------------
-----------------------------
A clue as to the rough road ahead is the following.

Consider an ideal toroidal magnet, whose axis is the beam axis.

If the magnetic field is varying, this is a primitive induction linac.

But, just consider a DC field in the toroid.

The beam, of course, passes through the hole in the toroid, and never
encounters the magnetic field.   The beam is unaffected by the DC toroid.

However, the vector potential is nonzero outside the toroid where the B
field is zero.    Recall that the line integral of A_tangent around a loop =
magnetic flux through loop.

So, strictly speaking, we should include this vector potential in the beam
emittance calculation -- even though the beam is completely unaffected by
the magnet!

However, I predict that the rms emittance will be different with and without
the vector potential (even though phase volume is not changed by the
inclusion of the vector potential).

This highlights the strategic issue: do we or don’t we include the vector
(and scalar) potential in the emittance calculations.  For time-dependent
fields there is the additional ambiguity as to which gauge to use for the
potentials.

--Kirk