[MAP] Liouville's theorem, kinematic invariants, and dynamic invariants

Chris Rogers chris.rogers at stfc.ac.uk
Tue Mar 15 02:35:39 EDT 2011

In MICE the principal measurements are even made in a constant 4 T field
so one can calculate the vector potential pretty easily (or just use
kinematic variables).

I don't think the vector potential is non-zero and changing outside the
cavities because there would have to be a corresponding field for that.
Don't forget MICE cavities have a surface current on the Beryllium
windows so the usual rules for Maxwell in vacuum don't apply.

--

RF cavities are different and I don't think well treated in the standard
 texts. They have time and z-dependent fields which are difficult to

The only way around it that I have come across is to use proper time as
the independent variable and take both z and t as dynamic variables.
Maybe it's possible to work in lab frame... but that's not what I've
seen done most of the time.

Chris

--
ASTeC Intense Beams Group