[MAP] FermiGrid hands-on tutorial at JLab

Tom Roberts tjrob at fnal.gov
Tue Feb 22 13:25:13 EST 2011

I am considering holding a hands-on tutorial at JLab, to demonstrate how to use
FermiGrid for large simulation tasks. If you are interested, please reply to
this email. The MAP Winter Meeting schedule is tight, so this will probably
happen outside the official program, possibly Wednesday evening.

You will need:
    1) a valid Fermilab kerberos principal (there's probably not enough
       time to get a new one).
    2) a login on the FermiGrid gateways. If you don't have one, or are
       uncertain, email me and I'll make sure you have one. Allow 2-3
       business days for processing.
    3) a laptop which has the ability to ssh into Fermilab machines, either
       via a kerberos-enabled ssh or with a cryptocard. To check:
           Linux or Mac (in a terminal window):
               kinit       # or use cryptocard in next command
               ssh flxi06.fnal.gov
           Windows:
               either do the above in a Cygwin window, or use whatever
               application you normally use (Hummingbird, putty, ...).

I am the liaison person between MAP and FermiGrid, and going through me is the
proper way to arrange a login on the FermiGrid gateways.

Some people have requested FermiGrid logins, but unfortunately I think I have
lost some of those requests -- my apologies. If you are interested in using
FermiGrid, please email me about your intentions, regardless of your interest in
the tutorial.

Please do not do "Reply All" to this email.

Tom Roberts