[MAP] strengthening of aluminium alloys

Yuri Alexahin alexahin at fnal.gov
Fri Sep 17 15:35:35 EDT 2010

Here is the info I saved, probably we can contact those guys:

"Nanostructural hierarchy increases the strength of aluminium alloys" Authors: Yuntian Zhu, North Carolina State University; Peter Liddicoat, Simon P. Ringer and Xiao-Zhou Liao, University of Sydney; Yonghao Zhao and Enrique J. Lavernia, University of California, Davis; Maxim Y. Murashkin and Ruslan Z. Valiev, Ufa State Aviation Technical University. Published: Sept. 7, 2010, in Nature Communications.

A North Carolina State University researcher and colleagues have figured out a way to make an aluminum alloy, or a mixture of aluminum and other elements, just as strong as steel.
Now, Zhu plans on working on strengthening magnesium, a metal that is even lighter than aluminum. He's collaborating with the Department of Defense on a project to make magnesium alloys strong enough to be used as body armor for soldiers.