[MAP] COLLIDER RING DESIGN SURVEY

Yuri Alexahin alexahin at fnal.gov
Tue Mar 23 15:04:47 EDT 2010

Dear MAP members,

Following in steps of Tom Rogers I would ask those of you interested
in the muon collider ring design to send me information using Tom's
guidelines (below).

Thank you,

Yuri Alexahin, MAP Level-2 manager for collider ring design

TOM'S INSTRUCTIONS:
-------------------------

Simply reply to this email, and then edit the text below before sending it.
Please do not do Reply All, and please leave the Subject unchanged.

All items below are indented. To respond, please type your response in the blank
line after the item, starting in column 1. This will make your responses stand
out and not be missed. You are encouraged to add comments anywhere, just start
them in column 1.

In sections A and B, please answer each question.
In section C, for each task we would like to know:
   * what you are working on now
   * what you expect to work on next year
   * what you would like to work on further out (later)
We would like to know approximately what fraction of your time you expect, as a
rough percentage. For "now", this should incorporate your current funding, if
that is an issue for you. For "next year" and "later", list your desires and
intentions without regard to funding issues -- please respond according to your
interests and/or expertise. If you have no current interest or expectation to
work on something, leave it blank. Feel free to use question marks to indicate
uncertainty, and add any comments you have.

Example: here's how I responded to an obvious item (with comment):
       G4beamline maintenance and minor improvements
now: 20% next year: 20? later 20?
Includes minor new features but not major ones.

MAP COLLIDER RING DESIGN SURVEY
------------------------------

    A. Identification

       * What is your name?

       * What is your affiliation?

    B. Organizational items

       * Should there be regular meetings on collider ring in addition to the
         weekly Friday MAP meeting ? If so, what interval would you prefer
         (bi-weekly, monthly, as needed, ...)?

       * Should these be joint meetings with the Machine-Detector Interface group
         and magnet designers?

    C. MAP COLLIDER RING DESIGN ACTIVITIES:

     1. Lattice composition and matching:
        Complete ring lattices including special matching sections,
        injection, collimation, and beam abort.
        Design of chromaticity and nonlinear detuning correction circuits.

     2. Dynamic aperture studies with account of magnet imperfections
        (strength, field quality, and alignment errors) and beam-beam interactions.

     3. Simulation of secondary particle fluxes, detector backgrounds and heat
        deposition in magnets.

     4. RF system design.
        Simulation of the longitudinal beam dynamics with account of beam loading
        and higher-order-mode (HOM) excitation.

     5. Coherent effects.
        Calculation the impedance budget and stability analysis of the coherent motion
        of the muon beams.
        Study of the coherent beam-beam effect and possible loss of Landau damping.

     6. Collider ring siting study

     7. Other tasks
         There may be additional tasks you think are required and/or are
         related to the muon collider ring. Please describe them below. Use as much
         space as you need.