[MAP] Cooling Survey - please respond by 3/24/2010

Tom Roberts tjrob at fnal.gov
Wed Mar 17 16:47:42 EDT 2010

Everybody contributing to MAP:

The Muon Accelerator Program (MAP) is starting up, in anticipation of proposal
review and funding later this year. As I said on Feb. 5:

      This is the beginning of a paradigm shift: Instead of concentrating
      solely on the challenge of cooling design and evaluation, we must
      start thinking about all aspects of the system.

In order to prepare a comprehensive plan, the MAP managers need to know the
intentions and desires of everybody who plans to participate. The cooling
section is particularly complex, as we currently have several groups working on
different cooling techniques, more or less independently. So I ask that you
respond to this survey by March 24, 2010. It should take only a few minutes of
your time.

Note that the "cooling section" of MAP includes some things that have not been
associated with cooling in the past:

     * Simulations of RF breakdown, and RF design

     * Charge separation and recombination

     * Bunch merging

     * Simulation code development and maintenance

This is not an anonymous survey, and we need to know your name and affiliation;
we would rather not guess them from your email address, so please just follow
the instructions below.

Thank you,

Tom Roberts, MAP Level-2 manager for cooling

INSTRUCTIONS
------------

Simply reply to this email, and then edit the text below before sending it.
Please do not do Reply All, and please leave the Subject unchanged.

All items below are indented. To respond, please type your response in the blank
line after the item, starting in column 1. This will make your responses stand
out and not be missed. You are encouraged to add comments anywhere, just start
them in column 1.

In sections A and B, please answer each question.
In section C, for each task we would like to know:
   * what you are working on now
   * what you expect to work on next year
   * what you would like to work on further out (later)
We would like to know approximately what fraction of your time you expect, as a
rough percentage. For "now", this should incorporate your current funding, if
that is an issue for you. For "next year" and "later", list your desires and
intentions without regard to funding issues -- please respond according to your
interests and/or expertise. If you have no current interest or expectation to
work on something, leave it blank. Feel free to use question marks to indicate
uncertainty, and add any comments you have.

Example: here's how I responded to an obvious item (with comment):
       G4beamline maintenance and minor improvements
now: 20% next year: 20? later 20?
Includes minor new features but not major ones.

MAP COOLING SURVEY
------------------

    A. Identification

       * What is your name?

       * What is your affiliation?

    B. Organizational items

       * Should there be regular cooling meetings in addition to the weekly
         Friday MAP meeting (of which we get 1 in ~7)? If so, what interval
         would you prefer (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, as needed, ...)?

       * Should there be a separate email list for cooling?

    C. MAP Cooling Tasks

     4.1 Develop approach for comparing and assessing cooling techniques:
         Characterize input beam from front end, Characterize internal
         beam interface(s) within cooling section, Characterize output beam
         to accelerator.

     4.2 6D cooling

	Guggenheim channel: tapered fields in Icool, tapered channel design
         matching sections, confirm performance with G4BL, realistic design
         of absorbers and windows, study shielding effects, study RF
         breakdown alternative designs, model space charge at end, error
         sensitivity.

	Helical cooling channel: design channel with self-consistent RF &
         magnet engineering, design HTS helical magnet, design dielectric
         loaded RF cavities, design matching sections, optimize cooling
	performance, mechanical analysis of pressurized windows, model
         space charge at end, error sensitivity.

	Helical FOFO-snake: design channel and simulate performance,
         study using gas in the channel, study RF breakdown alternative
         designs, matching sections, model space charge at end, error
         sensitivity.

     4.3 Final cooling

	50 Tesla HTS channel: optimize stage parameters, matching sections,
         acceleration sections, study RF breakdown alternative designs,
         model space charge at end, error sensitivity.

	Lithium lens channel: design and simulate straight lattice,
         matching sections, model space charge at end, error sensitivity.

	Low β bucked coil lattice: design and simulate straight lattice.
         design and simulate lattice with dispersion, matching sections,
         model space charge at end of channel, error sensitivity.

	PIC-REMEX: design aberration-corrected epicycle EPIC channel,
         design edge-focused ring cooler for PIC, study RF breakdown
         alternative designs for PIC, PIC matching sections, design
         aberration-corrected REMEX channel, study RF breakdown alternative
         designs for REMEX, REMEX matching sections, model space charge at
         end, error sensitivity,

     4.4 Additional components

	Charge separation: bent solenoid simulations, error sensitivity.

	Charge recombination: dipole simulations, bent solenoid simulations,
         effect of space charge, error sensitivity.

	Low-energy bunch merging: planar wiggler simulations, helical wiggler
         simulations, design magnetic insulated lattice, error sensitivity.

	High energy bunch merging: design and simulate bunch merging rings,
         injection system, extraction system, error sensitivity.

     4.5 Simulation code development

	ICOOL maintenance and minor improvements

	G4Beamline maintenance and minor improvements

     4.6 Target-to-accelerator simulation of front end and cooling

	join baseline subsystems, optimization, high statistics runs,
	understand differences from multiple codes, study sensitivity
         to physics models and hardware parameters, polarization,
	study using real space charge code.

     4.7 RF systems

	Design of the RF system

	Breakdown in RF cavities: simulate beam breakdown in gas-filled
         cavities, develop model of breakdown in vacuum cavities, space charge
         simulations, optimize magnetic insulated cavity, breakdown code
         development.

     4.8 DFS Reports preparation

     4.9 Other tasks
         There may be additional tasks you think are required and/or are
         related to muon cooling. Please describe them below. Use as much
         space as you need.