[MAP] Parallel ICOOL on NERSC: update to 332, important bug fix

Berg, J Scott jsberg at bnl.gov
Wed Oct 9 09:02:35 EDT 2013

For those of you using the parallel ICOOL on NERSC: there is an updated version of Rob Ryne's parallelization of ICOOL available at

/project/projectdirs/map/Codes/ICOOL/mpi/bin/icool-332-mpi-00

This version has all the features/fixes in the serial version 332. More importantly, a buffer overrun bug has been fixed which could cause problems for any runs with more than 300,000 particles. Any runs with more than 300,000 particles on any other parallel version should be considered suspect, so please switch to this version. If anyone has a need for the earlier version with that bug fixed, let me know and I can easily make one.

The source code is at

/project/projectdirs/map/Codes/ICOOL/mpi/src/332-mpi-00

As a reminder, any executables in the Codes/icool331.1-mpi* directories will produce results with minor statistical anomalies due to their use of the PGI random number generator (not an ICOOL problem per se), so please don't use them.

To re-iterate: at this point, the only ICOOL MPI version that will produce correct (hopefully!) results with more than 300,000 particles is icool-332-mpi-00. If you need a parallel ICOOL with the physics models from an earlier ICOOL version, let me know.

Send me any questions, requests, or bug reports. Thanks,

-Scott