Technical Board Minutes
Minutes of TB phone meeting, December 3, 2010
Attending: S. Geer, M. Zisman, R. Fernow, D. Hartill, A. Bross,
K. McDonald, D. Kaplan, J. Tompkins, D. Li, A. Blondel, G. Prior,
- M. Zisman: Presented general ideas regarding review process of external
requests to MAP (pdf)
- A. Blondel: presentation
- Question: Construction of 300 kW amplifier
with old parts or completely new design with modern components
- Concerns with the number of MAP (American) personnel listed in the
CERN proposal; must all be authors?
- MAP Technical Board executive session
- How does this fit with MTA program?
- Are the technical goals appropriate?
- What level of MAP resources will be needed?
- Is the MAP commitment appropriate? manageable?
I would be great to be able to test a cavity as soon as possible.
Question: would it be possible to make the test at CERN
significantly earlier than at the MTA?
Collaboration with CERN is very important.
Question: could this be interpreted by DoE as a
widening of MAP scope?
Question: Timing is the main concern, that is, will the test be done at CERN well ahead
of that at the MTA?
Question: Is it necessary to test all the cavities or just a few? Do we need
to test all the cavities at nitrogen temperature or only one?
The main trust of the proposal is to help MICE; however, the
testing of each cavity in a uniform field may not give the correct
assessment of the issues needed to be assessed for MICE's lattice (
non uniform magnetic fields)
Derun Li and A. Bross will prepare a detailed test procedure for rf
cavities conditioning for both likely scenarios, MTA and CERN (as described in
the proposal) and submit it for discussion to the MICE Technical
Friday December 3, 11:30PM
Juan C. Gallardo
December 3, 2010